gdb data for model....

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Apr 27 09:38:13 EDT 2009

Hey Russell,
I sent a little blurb about syslog() and your argus() not outputing,
although it seemed
to "hang in there".   I'm sending this email to the list, so we can
track it and possibly
get some other opinions.

The question, where are my log messages going?  The key was the call
to openlog()
in ./argus/argus.c, and your syslogd configuration.  On my Mac OS X
Leopard boxes,
*.warn is not configured to go into any system log file, so it maybe
that you can check
your /etc/syslog.conf file.  We can change the priority easily.

With regard to openlog().

    openlog (ArgusProgramName, LOG_PID | LOG_PERROR, LOG_DAEMON);

I did notice in my initiializing syslog(), I have it writing to
stderror, as well as the logs.
When we daemonize argus(), I remap stderror to /dev/null.  It's
possible that
when syslog() tries to deal with log messages on your machine with
this option,
it fails to write out?    So,..., just on a hunch, when we are running
daemonized,
I recofigure syslog() to not do that.  Possibly that will fix things
for you.

Carter