flow in general

Nick Diel nick at engineerity.com
Tue Apr 21 11:45:38 EDT 2009

Basically when Argus sees packets going in both directions (from host A to
host B AND from host B to host A) this is a bidirectional flow.  When Argus
only sees packets going in one direction this is a unidirectional flow.

A simple example is when host A sends host B a tcp syn packet and host B
does not respond (such as the case for a simple port scan).  Argus will
count this as a flow and since packets only went from host A to host b it is
unidirectional.  Note if host B responded then this would be a bidirectional
flow.

Another reason for unidirectional flows is for some reason Argus did not see
the other packets, such as the case may be with placement of an Argus
collector.

Note, especially with TCP, source and destination have nothing to with
unidirectional vs. bidirectional.  With TCP, source and destination are
determined when possible with tcp states.

Nick

PS To see this in action have ra tell you how many packets the src and dst
sent.  Add the following to your ra command: -L0 -s +spkts +dpkts