srcid on OpenBSD

Mark Bartlett mabartle at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:00:08 EDT 2008

In the ra Man page it states:

srcid argusid
              True  if the argus identifier field in the Argus record is
srcid, which
              may be an IP address, a name or a decimal/hexidecimal number.

Radium Man states:

 -e   <value> Specify the source identifier for this radium.  Acceptable
values
            are numbers, hostnames or ip address.

Argus Man States:

 -e   <value>  Specify the source identifier for this argus.  Acceptable
values
            are numbers, hostnames or ip address.

Carter, is there any way we can have that field be:

   1.  an IP Address (like you have),
   2. a number (any number, ie 23417, I would like to set the Monitor ID
   to a number that correlates with an IDS Sensor I have, each IDS I have has a
   unique ID for it, would be nice to be able to correlate that data. Argus vs.
   IDS)
   3. hostname (like you have)
   4. or just a name (ie. TestLabProbe)

In my environment an IP Address doesn't mean much to me, I might have
multiple ARGUS sensors out in multiple private networks (so they all might
have a 192.168.x.x address), so what happens if I have 2 sensors in 2
different private networks with the same IP (192.168.50.33) would be hard to
differentiate between the two...

Thanks.

Bartola