feature request: ragrep

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Jun 17 10:18:03 EDT 2008

Hey CS Lee,
Now these regular expressions are not the highest performing things in
the world.
And if you write a program to test a flow against, say a couple
hundred regex's, you
will be hard pressed to maintain 10K records per second, so, ...., how
important is
this start the search x bytes in front of the data?

Most of the snort filters that are looking at content do offsets for
performance,
not necessarily to have better filters.  We can do an offset search,
by modifying
the call to the -e option to have something like this"
     -e s[10]:"regex"

If you have more than one filter.

Carter