config bug

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Thu Jul 10 19:00:49 EDT 2008

	While poking at whats wrong with my machine Lixin noticed that
configure isn't quite correct. It needs to use -m64 and -FPIC while
compiling in configure to be entirely correct:

./configure
checking for netinet/ether.h... yes
checking whether ether_hostton is declared... yes
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
checking for local pcap library... not found
checking for main in -lpcap... yes
checking for extraneous pcap header directories... not found

# CC="gcc -m64 -fPIC" ./configure
checking whether ether_hostton is declared... yes
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
checking for local pcap library... not found
checking for main in -lpcap... yes
checking for extraneous pcap header directories... not found
checking for pcap_list_datalinks... yes

with a 64 bit kernel no offset is needed for large files. I of course have
no idea how you would cause configure to use the -m64 and -fPIC (and m64
may be in fact the only one it needs) for itself. It appears to have it
at some time in VOPTS but isn't itself using that.