no smac an dmac with ubuntu

Jochen Haemmerle mail at jhaemmerle.org
Fri Jul 4 17:34:27 EDT 2008

Hi,

I discovered a strange problem with argus and ubuntu (7.10 and 8.04).
I use argus to create an "argus.dump" file

argus -r pcapfile -w argus.dump

If I then use ra to show mit saddr smac daddr and dmac it only shows saddr
and daddr and reports that the smac and dmac are empty.

ra -M xml -r argus.dump

Here comes the strange thing. If I create the argus.dump file with my
Debian (unstable) machine then ra displays everything as expected.
Therefore I guess there's something wrong with my argus binary, but what?

I use argus-3.0.0 build from source using the libpcap and the other
dependencies from the package management (libpcap 0.9.8).

Is there anything wrong with ubuntu?

regards
Jochen