racount and other commands won't run under argus-clients-3.0.0.rc.68

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Jan 28 13:16:16 EST 2008

Oh, /etc/ra.conf is still a valid systems wide ra* configuration file,
its just the one you had on the machine was old, and had obsolete
variables in the file.  The idea is to 'strongly suggest' an upgrade
of their system configuration files when upgrading to argus-3.0.

The configuration strategy for the ra* programs follow this logic:
If you don't provide a "-F ra.conf" option to a ra* program, it will
first open the system-wide /etc/ra.conf file to 'prime' the
configuration
pump.  It will then look in your $ARGUSHOME/ra.conf file, and then
in the $ARGUSPATH/.rarc files to get all the configuration items it
needs.  If there is no $ARGUSPATH, then it will look in ~/.rarc.

Seems kinda complex, but its really all there for convenience.

The /etc/ra.conf file can provide system specific restrictions, the
personal one can provide user oriented extensions/modifications,
and the $ARGUSPATH allows you to substitute if needed.  Many
programs these types of strategies, like bash().

If you had put a newer ./support/Config/rarc file as /etc/ra.conf, it
would
have worked fine.

Carter