question on argus listenning on 2 interfaces

Kevin & Leah Branch klkbranch at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 13:56:42 EST 2008

Lei,

I've never heard about argus supporting aggregating multiple interfaces.  If the inbound link and outbound link you refer to are actually just the upstream and downstream components of the same sniff-point on your network, as is common with many ethernet taps, then you might consider using linux channel bonding.  See http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-bonding.html for more details on how to do that with Linux.  If eth2 is the upstream side of your sniff point and eth3 the downstream side of the same sniff point, then you can create a bonding interface to which eth2 and eth3 are enslaved, thus combining their traffic into a single bond0 interface.  Then you just point tcpdump or argus or whatever at bond0.  It works like a charm, and require no installation of any extra software.  One warning, though.  If you use PF_RING (from ntop.org) to boost your packet capture performance, it wasn't compatible with channel bonding last I tried to use these things together.  MMaped libpcap seems to work fine with it though, at least in my environments.

Kevin