Argus 3.0 Client .rarc problems... Ra Version 3.0.0.rc.69

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Feb 18 10:56:53 EST 2008

Hey Bartola,
Maybe just a bit of confusion.

Getting the time format right for insertion into a DB is done through
defining a RA_TIME_FORMAT in your .rarc.  If you look in the
./support/Config/excel.rc, you'll see how we define the variables to
get the time setup for excel.   For you, it should be as straight-
forward.

The RA_OUTPUT_FILE is there specifically to generate binary argus
record output and write it out to a file.  If you want ascii output,
just ">" the output into a file.
    ra -r file > outfile.txt

In your 3rd problem, you're telling ra() to generate a binary
argus record stream as output, and put the output in /tmp/argus2,
not what you're wanting, and your missing the command line delimiter
that indicates the start of the filter.

> ra -r argus.out -w /tmp/argus2 tcp or udp or icmp

should be:
    ra - argus.out  - tcp or udp or icmp > /tmp/argus2

Setting the RA_USEC_PRECISION, doesn't change the format of
the RA_TIME_FORMAT string, which is probably set to "%T.%f".
Change that value to "%T", to get rid of printing the fractional part
of time and leave the precision variable around 3-6.

The srcid right now is assumed to be an IP address, but it is only
the client programs that think that.  I'll fix that this week
(hopefully tonight).

Carter