Getting total traffic counts for a specific host

David lists at edeca.net
Thu Aug 28 07:23:12 EDT 2008

Firstly thanks for all the previous help.  I have now imported all my
data again and split it up by day, which is much more manageable.

I am trying to solve the following problem but can't think where to
begin.  I want to pick out one host from my argus files and work out
the total traffic to/from it over a few months.  Calculating this in 6
hour blocks would be a good starting point.

If I can get an approximation as if I had sampled the interface
statistics every 6 hours over a few months (for src pkts, src bytes,
dst pkts & dst btyes), that would be excellent.

I'm not sure how to aggregate over a 6 hour period (though I think
rabins should help) nor how to ensure that src and dst always refer to
the same 'direction' to or from the machine.

Does this make sense?

Regards,

David