another 'how do I do this' post!

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Apr 24 08:38:03 EDT 2008

Hey Stewart,
You are getting duplicates because  the aggregated flows the racluster()
generates have different source port numbers.  We need to wildcard
some of the fields in the flow records to get just the information
you're
looking for.

If you are interested only in IP addresses, and you don't care about
who is client and who is the server, or the service, then try:

    racluster -m matrix

This results in all A->B and B->A connections to be reported as A->B,
where A is numerically < (less than) B.

If you're interested in only the class-C address matrix, you can do
this:

    racluster -m matrix/24

If you are interested in only the IP addresses and the direction of the
communication, pipe the output of your first racluster(), which gets all
the standard flows merged, into another racluster() to wildcard.

    racluster -r file -w - | racluster -m saddr daddr

The first racluster() gets the direction for all the flows right, and
the
second then does the wildcarding.

If you are interested in the service, which means that direction is
important,
then add the proto and the dport.

    racluster -r file -w - | racluster -m saddr daddr proto dport

And if you are getting your data from multiple argus probes or netflow
sources, be sure and keep the source identifier in the mix.

    racluster -r file -w - | racluster -m srcid saddr daddr proto dport

This last incantation is really only throwing away the source port
(sport),
so you will get the all transactions between A -> B going to a
particular
service port (the destination port of initiating packet).

If you want to know the source class-B networks that are initiating
communication with machines in your network (assuming you are a
class C like network 1.2.3.0), and you want to see the service they
are requesting, try this type of call.

    racluster -r file -w - | racluster -m srcid/16 daddr proto dport -
dst net 1.2.3.0/24

If you get a lot of dst ports that are above 30,000, you may have ftp
data
connections, or peer-to-peer connections on the wire, and so a
racluster.conf file is needed towildcard them correctly, but it is
easily done.

Hopefully this is helpful,

Carter