pf_ring and argus

Ole Morten Grodås grodaas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 05:52:50 EDT 2008

Thanks for the helpful answers Peter and Nick.

After reading the paper "Improving Passive Packet Capture:Beyond Device
Polling" and the pf_ring user guide I was under the impression that PF_RING
was the most used and most stable option. But after your comments, I'm not
so sure anymore.

As Peter suspects, my main concern at the moment is with a setup where
everything is running on one box and I hoped that the use of pf_ring or
mm-pcap could help.

When running my test I also hope to get a better understanding of the
performance bottlenecks in my system and the performance characteristics off
Argus. I'm therefore a bit curios Peter, how you measure the PCI contention
problems you refer to. I was planning on using systat for performance
monitoring. Are there any better alternatives?

Regards
Grodaas