new clients rc.62 on the server - description of rastream()

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Oct 29 22:28:53 EDT 2007

Gentle people,
The latest installment of the argus clients distribution is available
for
testing.  This rc.62 has significant fixes for rastream(), ratop()
and radium(),
so it should be checked out.

rastream() is now ready to use in production situations.  It is the
replacement
for argusarchive, and is designed to make archive generation much
easier.
It is a designed as a persistent raspilt() that can process archive
files as they
are closed.  The example shell script that is included in the
distribution
simply compresses the files, but you can add your own scripts to this
easily.  Hopefully these brief instructions can get most started:

    % cp ./support/Config/rastream.sh /usr/local/bin
    % chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/rastream.sh
    % rastream -S argi -M time 5m -B 10s -f /usr/local/bin/rastream.sh \
                -w /usr/local/argus/archive/\$srcid/%Y/%m/%d/argus.%Y.
%m.%d.%H.%M.%S &

This will build an archive of data from the "argi" source and write
into a filesystem
that is @ /usr/local/argus/archive and structured by probe id
($srcid) / year / month / day.
rastream() will generate 5 minute files (this is a good strategy and
is highly
recommended).  10 seconds past each 5 minute boundary, rastream() will
close the archive files and run the shell script /usr/local/bin/
rastream.sh
against the file, the example simply compresses the file.

I will have a man page and a little description of how to use it in
the final
release.

The radark.pl script is current (reflecting the dialog in the mailing
list).

I still have some ratop() polishing to do, and xml support needs
to be finished (currently supported by all ra* programs using the -M xml
option), but we're very close (maybe two more sets and we're done).

If anyone finds any issues, omissions, mistakes, bugs, whatever,
please don't hesitate to send email!!!

Thanks for all!!