Documentation Effort for argus-3.0 release

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Oct 15 13:36:32 EDT 2007

Hey Mike (et al),
I think you're right, and possibly the best way to go then is to
start telling people how to do stuff.  I have the things that I think
are important, but again, most people are not that interested
in my esoteric issues.

So where to begin?  The principal strength of argus is the
audit trail, at least from a forensics perspective, so many/some
of the examples should be oriented toward the audit.  Most
of the recent stuff is oriented around real-time situational
awareness.  But that is pretty high on the complexity chart,
so maybe not a primary focus?

Most people do periodic audit processing for things, like access
control policy validation, Top N talkers, rudimentary intrusion
detection, matrix baselining etc....  We can start talking
about what one can do from this perspective.

A lot of sites run simple scripts, such as out-order (the number
of hosts an internal machine is talking to).  If a machine gets
over a certain threshold, generate a list.  That kind of thing.
Is this a reasonable starting point?

I quietly slid in radark.pl, a sample perl script that  generates a
scanner report, which is pretty useful.  Is that a good starting point?
Generating IP address inventories is extremely important for
long term tracking, should we talk about that?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I can write about a lot of
things, so if we had some consensus, I could/should start today ;o)

Carter