packet loss measure with real data

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Nov 26 06:49:54 EST 2007

Hey Robert,
Argus can be run against your packet file to generate flow status records, which you can use to understand the loss.

For some protocols, those with good aequence numbers,, argus tracks the number of lost packets in each flow status report.  For connection-less protocols that do not have useful sequence numbers, you have to compare the received packet counts to the offered counts, and so having the packets from both ends is important.

Ping is a measure of connectivity, and each connectivity failure is presented as a single packet loss, which is inappropriate.  Ping involves 2 packets, 2 paths and a reflector, which is a bit more complicated to simulate. Did the echo request packet get dropped?  Did the response packet get dropped? Is the ping target faulty/overwhelmed?  The real analysis can be complicated.

Run argus against your packets, setting a unique source-id to the flow records.  Then use racluster() and ra to generate the stats you want.

Read the man pages and send questions after you get familiar with the tools.

QoSient LLC
150 E. 57th Street Suite 12D
New York, New York 10022
+1 212 588-9133 Phone