Primitives for tcp/udp/icmp flow

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue May 15 16:06:29 EDT 2007

Hey CS Lee,
These flag indicators are indeed very useful, but there are a number of
conditions that you will want to track for lots of different reasons, so
its hard to reduce the combinations, especially when you add to the
mix that in some situations you also want to know which direction the
flag was set it.

If we can come up with unique keywords for combinations, then I
can support that.   Here are the ones that I think are most important
to track and their filter equivalents:
    1. syn only
    2. syn with synack but no data, no closing
    3. syn and synack and fin, with no data passed
    4. synack with no syn
    5. data with no syn or synack with reset
    6. syn with reset
    7  syn with synack with initiator fin

they all have multiple reasons to track them, some operational,
some security.  So not sure how I can help here.

Other keywords that are useful:
    'normal'     - tcp normal close (fin finack)
    'wait'          - tcp time wait state (fin no finack)
    'con', 'est'  - tcp connected/established (syn, synack, ack)

raxml() is not going to be any longer, as all the ra* programs can
print as XML now.  But the xml support is still weak.  Try:

    ra -r file -M xml

To see how far I've come with it.  Any help anyone can give
on the xml part would be great, like definitions of schema's
  opinions as to what it should look like.

Carter