new argus-3.0.0.tar.gz on the server

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Sat Jun 16 09:31:06 EDT 2007

Gentle people,
The new argus that is on the server is a fix for the problem that
Michael reported, where he was getting segfaults.  I did find the
bug and the fix is in this refresh of the code.  Its still named the
same, as it is THE release candidate for argus-3.0, and hopefully
this is now the version!!!!

The bug was in the argus memory management subsystem,
where a pointer was getting munged by accident, and the
free block list was getting corrupted.

No changes to data, or data formats, so no effect on the overall
argus architecture.

To aid in debugging the problem, I added packet range processing
to the "-N " option, so you can start processing late in a packet
capture file.  This was important to solving the problem in a day,
since Michael's capture file had over 6M packets in it.

Well, anyway, please consider updating your argus-3.0 probes
with this new version, especially if you have had any type
of instability.

Thanks!!!!!