argusarchive 101

carter at qosient.com carter at qosient.com
Mon Jun 4 07:01:14 EDT 2007

While we provide some tools, most people have done whatever they wanted, so you won't find  much dialog.  The tool of choice for argus-3.0 will be rastream() and I haven't finished the man page.  Until then, you should consider using rasplit() to generate your archive.

I don't suggest that argus write directly to a file any longer, especially for very fast stuff.  We use clients like radium() and rasplit() to handle data from the probes.

Rastream() is raspilt() with the ability to sort output records and then run scripts against files, as they are closed.

For most people, even hourly files generate difficult file sizes, so I recommend 5 minute files, as a rule of thumb.  Try this command:

   rasplit -S server -M time 5m -w archive/\$srcid/%Y/%m/%d/argus.%Y.%m.%d.%H.%M.%S

This will write records out into a year/month/day file system with 5 minute files, where no ecord over laps the 5 minute boundaires.  Organized by argus srcid (this is why argus source ids should to be unique).

The "$srcid" will use the srcid field in the record.  You can use any printable field this way.  The "$" may need to escaped, depending on your shell, that's why I have a '\' in the example.

Rasplit does have a manpage.

Carter Bullard
QoSient LLC
150 E. 57th Street Suite 12D