reading argus files using non-sequential access

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Jan 31 21:36:05 EST 2007

Gentle people,
All ra* programs have the ability to read argus files using starting
and ending byte offsets.  If you have a list of offsets, this type
of feature can make processing large argus files very fast/efficient.

The syntax for reading files using offsets has been/is/will be/could be:
   "-r file::ostart:oend"

(or at least that is how I've implemented it in the past)
where ostart is the starting offset, and oend is the ending offset.

This is not a useful feature if you don't know where the record
boundaries are in the file, so I haven't 'exposed' this feature yet, but
I think that it is something that we can begin to work with, or at
least talk about how we could use it.

Anyone interested in this type of feature and would like to
talk about how we could use this?