simple ra time filter question...

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Jan 3 15:01:44 EST 2007

Hey Philipp (and poncenby),
I found a problem in the time parsing, and all seems to be working now.
I'll try to put up new code tomorrow, or later tonight.

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 11:27:00PM +0000, poncenby smythe wrote:
>> what would the command line look like to read an argus file
>> 'argus.data'
>>   and only show records for November 2006?

this filter will work with older versions of argus-3.0:
    "-t 2006/11/01+1M"

this will work now with the fixes I put in, and would be a better
filter:
    "-t 2006/11+1M"

If you only have one "/", it assumed that you were specifying "mm/dd",
which is in the documentation.  Now it will accept "yyyy/mm".

There is some ambiguity on how the time range works, and so
I'll need some help to describe it so that its understandable.  Here's
a start, but more is needed, so if we can get a dialog going, at least
it will be in the mail archive.

There are basically 2 time strategies, explicit and relative time,
and three range comparisons; span, inclusive, and exclusive.

Explicit is specified with two complete time values, (explicit start
and stop
times with year, month, day, hour, min, and sec specified).   If the
start time
value is explicit, then the second time will also be explicit, so you
don't have
to put in the year, in both, as an example (unless you cross a year
boundary, of course :o).  Parsing the two values generates a fixed time
range that is compared against the timestamps in the argus records.

There are two ways to specify a time value; datetime and offset.
A datetime value has a year/month/day.hour:min:sec format, but you
don't have to provide the year, month, day, hour, minute or second
values if they are the same as the current time's values.
Offsets are [-/+] values from the current time, or from a given starting
point.  The format is [-/+] num"smhdMy", where the "smhdMy" stands for
seconds, minutes, hours, days, Months or years.  Offsets always force
the time to be explicit, as they are generally designed to specify a
range
against the current time, which is an explicit time value.

Examples are:
    "2005/09/11.09:52:41-13:00:03"
    "01/02.23-23:11"
    "01.07:12:29-08:03:55"
    "-12d+5m"
    "2005/09/01+1M"
    "-5m"

However, be cautious with the offset specification.  The filters:
     " -2d+5m "
     " -2d-5m "

are different.  The first is the range "-2 days from now" to start,
and the
ending time is "+5 minutes" later.  The second is the range "-2 days -
5 minutes" to start, and ends at "-2 days".  This is probably a bad
thing,
but its the result of having signed values relative to a specified time.
So, for relative ranges, it will be best if you always use the "+"
operator.

When the time is not completely specified, where the year, month
or day are not specified, then the time range is relative and as a
result, the time filter can match independent of year, month and/or day.

So the filter:
    " 12-14 "

which is 12 noon to 2 PM, will match independent of what day you feed
the
filter.  So if you run through a weeks worth of data, the time range
will be
used against Mon, Tues, Wed, etc....  This is great for comparing
time-of-day
trends and behaviors.  Because there is wildcarding, the performance is
not that good, so try to be explicit in your time range specifications.

The three comparison modes are there to specify how you want to compare
the times.  "Inclusive" is where the record start and stop times
cover the
timerange.  This is great when you want to know "what flows were active
during this time range", and is invaluable for understanding flows
that may
be used to control other flows.

"Exclusive" is where both the start and stop times are within the
timerange.
This is important to find the dependent flows, ie flows that must
complete
in order for this flow to finish.

"Span" allows for any overlap to match, this is the default.

You specify the type using "ies" as the first character of the time
specification.

So, if you wanted to find any record that is totally contained within
the
time range 12:31:15-12:53:16 on Dec 23, 2006:

    -t  x2006/12/23.12:31:15-12:53:16

OK, so if there is any issue with understanding the idea behind time
filters,
please send some mail to the list!!!!

Carter