GRE packets appear to be invisible to Argus 3

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Dec 27 10:32:31 EST 2007

Hey Kevin,
argus-3.0 parses the GRE header as an encapsulation header,
like ethernet or mpls or say, vlan tags, and attempts to report on
the flows that are in the GRE tunnel.  It maybe that your GRE tunnel
is supporting packets that give argus trouble?  Or its possible that
the packet snap length of the packets argus gets are too short for
argus to decode the next protocol header, making it difficult for it to
form the next protocol flow key.  If this is correct, then we've
definitely
got a bug that needs to be fixed pronto.

Your email may have a typo, where you're reading the argus-2 output
with an argus-3 client and not seeing GRE flows.  This is a different
type of bug.  I'm sure you have tested:

    ~/argus-clients-3.0.0/bin/ra -r pptp.arg3

and gotten the same results?

Does this have any effect?

    ~/argus-clients/3.0.0/bin/ra -r pptp.arg3 - encaps gre

Flows that are in the gre tunnel should have a "G" in the "flags" field.
The argus_gre.h file in argus-3.0 is actually embedded in ./argus/
ArgusModeler.h.

I can debug argus-3.0 if you can share your collection of packets.

Carter