Argus memory issues

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 20 19:03:32 EDT 2007

Carter Bullard wrote:
> Hey Peter,
> Oh lets adjust the timeout values, with all things back as you would
> normally run them.  The goal here is to understand if your just churning
> through a lot of very short lived flows?  The current timeouts are pretty
> long (30 secs) and so if your getting 200K flows per second of low volume
> flows, then this should bring you back into a healthy range.
>
> If this is useful, then the workaround is very easy, as I can
> put in the logic to give flows with (pkts < 3) a zero timeout value,
> which
> should get your memory back.  That is a much easier fix than to enforce
> a small memory foot print.
>
> So in this strategy, argus would hold any flow for the status interval,
> hopefully that is a low number (5 secs is good, as 90% of flows live
> less than 2.5 seconds), and then for low volume flows, we immediately
> deallocate the flow cache.
This sounds most sensible.  I'll try cutting the timeout values and see
what happens.

Hmmmm... one thing that we are seeing now is *lots* of ssh brute force
attacks, tens of thousands of short (5-10 pkt) tcp flows I wonder if
that is what has tipped us over the edge?  The attacks are, of course
accompanied by very fast scans of our class B.

Russell.