Argus memory issues

Mike Iglesias iglesias at uci.edu
Sun Aug 19 22:04:50 EDT 2007

Peter Van Epp wrote:
> 	That has been my experience too. I tried going back to versions that
> I swear were working fine, but now they exhibit the same problem and I don't
> know why. There may be a traffic issue though, my 2.0.6 production system
> while not eating memory (it has been at 256K since June last year as I recall)
> is taking a long time in perl post processing, but I can't find any obvious
> reason why. Scanning looks reasonably normal, traffic isn't overly high. I too
> am wondering about storm because I too am not recognizing anything I think
> is storm traffic (things have been quiet on the infection front for months)
> and I expect I have storm infections here that I'm just not seeing :-).

Look for systems with a lot of UDP traffic to find stormworm, or recently,
skype.  The recent Skype problems have caused systems here to have over
170,000 other systems talking to them via UDP.  You may be seeing some of
that, but that didn't start happening until Wed or Thurs last week.

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias at uci.edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2069