ra man page explanation

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Apr 19 10:41:12 EDT 2007

Hey CS,
No, these definitions have been chosen carefully based on IETF and
ITU standards,
and the single best reference to point to is RFC 2285, Benchmarking
Terminology
for LAN Switching Devices.  This is our normative reference.  I've
included others
below.

Load universally relates to octets (RFC 1242, 1404, 2285) example the
word payload
and is reported as bits per second.

Rate, however is a completely ambiguous term, and applies to
everything, but
we've chosen it as pps because of the IETF's use of the term as it
relates to
Frames (RFC 1242; frame loss rate)  Forwarding Rate (RFC 2285; frames
per
second) Forwarding Capacity (RFC 4689; packet rate ), and the rather
simple
statistical arrival rate discussion on sampling in RFC 2330 (arrival
rate of events
in Poisson Sampling).

Originally I had defined the terms as you did, but I was bashed so
man times at
IETF's that I changed it to how it is now.

Carter