Most efficient way to generate summary traffic report

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Apr 13 10:36:45 EDT 2007

Hey toddmichael,
If you can handle perl, you can do what you're interested in in one
pass.
In the clients package there are two programs, raports and rahosts.
These
programs parse data files and build associative arrays for various data
elements.  You could modify it to do your percent load type of reports,
and also do the mapping from IP address, or ethernet address, to your
group assignments.

If your not interested in that, you can use rabins() to do what you
want,
with some post processing.  Say you want the metrics between class
C networks every hour:

    rabins -M soft time 1h -m matrix/24

Say you just want to know the in and out counts per subnet:

    rabins -M rmon soft time 1h -m saddr/24 -s stime saddr spkts dpkts

These will give you the basic data and you can build the percents.  You
can use something like excel in a pinch to give you percent over the
time
period.  You can also do stuff with perl, awk, etc .....

Give that a try and see if its getting close to providing what you're
interested in.  If there some other support that would do it all,
send some
mail and we'll see what we can do.

Carter