Argus Data Generates From Pcap

carter at qosient.com carter at qosient.com
Thu Apr 12 07:19:00 EDT 2007

Go to http://qosient.com/argus/flow.htm to see a description of the flow models argus supports by default.  You don't have to configure anything.

QoSient LLC
150 E. 57th Street Suite 12D
New York, New York 10022
+1 212 588-9133 Phone
+1 212 588-9134 Fax

-----Original Message-----
From: "CS Lee" <geek00l at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:41:01
To:"Carter Bullard" <carter at qosient.com>
Cc:Argus <argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Argus Data Generates From Pcap

Carter,

Thanks, after some tuning in argus.conf, I able to generate most of the metrics and I will check it out more, here's my configuration and please do let me know if I need to tweak it to generate all the flow metrics from pcap.

# Flow Research
ARGUS_FLOW_TYPE="Bidirectional"
ARGUS_FLOW_KEY="CLASSIC_5_TUPLE"
# ARGUS_FLOW_KEY="LAYER_3_MATRIX"
# ARGUS_FLOW_KEY="LAYER_2_MATRIX"
ARGUS_DAEMON=yes
ARGUS_MONITOR_ID=Research
# ARGUS_ACCESS_PORT=561
# ARGUS_BIND_IP="127.0.0.1: <http://127.0.0.1> "
# ARGUS_INTERFACE=eth0
# ARGUS_GO_PROMISCUOUS=yes
# ARGUS_COLLECTOR=yes
# ARGUS_CHROOT_DIR=/chroot_dir
# ARGUS_OUTPUT_FILE=/var/log/argus/argus.out
# ARGUS_PACKET_CAPTURE_FILE="/var/log/argus/packet.out"
ARGUS_SETUSER_ID=geek00l
ARGUS_SETGROUP_ID=geek00l
# ARGUS_SET_PID=yes
# ARGUS_PID_PATH=/var/run
ARGUS_FLOW_STATUS_INTERVAL=60
# ARGUS_MAR_STATUS_INTERVAL=300
# ARGUS_DEBUG_LEVEL=0
ARGUS_GENERATE_RESPONSE_TIME_DATA=yes
ARGUS_GENERATE_JITTER_DATA=yes
ARGUS_GENERATE_MAC_DATA=yes
ARGUS_GENERATE_APPBYTE_METRIC=yes
ARGUS_GENERATE_TCP_PERF_METRIC=yes
ARGUS_CAPTURE_DATA_LEN=1500
ARGUS_FILTER_OPTIMIZER=yes
ARGUS_FILTER=""
# ARGUS_MIN_SSF=0
# ARGUS_MAX_SSF=0

So it has been stated in this link that argus supports 12 simultaneous flow models, I'm looking at this page -

http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/01aug/slides/ipfx-2/sld006.htm: <http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/01aug/slides/ipfx-2/sld006.htm>

Except for the Classic 5 tuples, Layer 3 and Layer 2 matrix, what are other valid options that I can put(for example 7 tuples?) and when I tried to generate the argus data from pcap, are there any differences if I use different kind of flow key(as the argus data generated has the same file size) but in fact when I look into it, Layer 2 matrix and Layer 3 matrix are different when querying with ra. But I would like to know other differences if possible, what I read from the slides above should be Layer 3 generates 3 tuples and Classic 5 tuples are more on Layer 4 oriented(tcp/udp port aware). Hopefully you can point me out more clearly to full understand all this.

Thanks, argus is always useful.

--
Best Regards,

CS Lee<geekooL[at]gmail.com>