Graph of the Week at http://qosient.com/argus

carter at qosient.com carter at qosient.com
Thu Sep 21 07:20:36 EDT 2006

Hey Bammkkkk,
I looked at your use examples (tunnel detection) and we've been doing this type of analysis for over 10 yrs now ( b yte ratio deviations, etc ... ).  But you don't have to have the data in a database to do this type of analysis.  I admit that having the flexibility that SQL provides is great, and helps you do some mining, but if you want to find this exploitation in real time, a stream processor is a better approach than "load a days worth of data into the database, and then do a SQL call" (not criticizing by any means).

And I agree, the database problem with large record numbers is both performance and management!!!

General anomaly detection strategies are great, and you willl find success down that path, but for problems like covert/overt channel exploits, you need better data than simple flow data.
Argus approaches tunnel detection by having some user data in the flow record, so you can actually see what protocol is presented in the flow, and for some protocols, protocol specific objects, like sequence number are used as a part of the flow key, which makes detecting anomalous behavior, like DNS tunnel detection much easier.

Gotta go, but keep the thread going if you find it useful!!!

QoSient LLC
150 E. 57th Street Suite 12D
New York, New York 10022
+1 212 588-9133 Phone