Useful ragraph usage

Jim O'Gorman jogorman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 12:42:51 EDT 2006

I have been using argus for a long time now to collect traffic data on
various lines I have to maintain. With ragraph now, I am excited about
finding new ways to use this collected data.

Working off and on with the ragraph tool the last couple days, there seems
to be many useful ways to put this to use. I am interested in using this to
replace some other tools I use, such as mrtg. I am still up in the air on if
this is practical at this point, and am currently putting together a series
of graphs to use over the next month to see how the data compares.

Along those lines, I would be interested to see how anyone is using ragraph,
what sort of data they are finding useful, what command lines, etc. If
anyone has anything they wish to share, that would be wonderful.

I have been looking at graphing the basics of the last days/weeks/months
traffic along with pulling out the top 10 talkers and graphing them as well.
Perhaps also pulling out specific networks and doing them separate to watch
for additional trends. This is what is so exciting about this tool, is the
flexibility to trend all of these arbitrary datasets. At this point, I have
not found any other tool that allows for this degree of flexibility.

I have been finding the graph of the week very useful as well. Thank you for
that.

--
Jim
jameso at elwood.net