monitoring round trip time

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed May 31 22:28:15 EDT 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 10:17:43AM -0700, Michael R Meisel wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Can anyone help me with a quick usage question? I have argus tracking
> ICMP traffic, and I've enabled ARGUS_GENERATE_RESPONSE_TIME_DATA in my
> argus.conf file. How can I tease out the round trip time from pings
> using ra?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

	Hopefully Carter will jump in with a proper answer but I'd guess you
want the jitter field in ra (or you may need to use raxml to dump the full
records and see what you can find. I'm not sure ra will display everything):

       -s <[-][[+[#]]field ...> -
           Specify the fields to print. Ra uses a default printing field list,
           by  specifying a field you can replace this list completely, or you
           can modify the existing default print list, using the optional  '-'
           and '+[#]' form of the command.  The available fields to print are:

              startime, lasttime, count, dur, avgdur,
              saddr, daddr, proto, sport, dport, ipid,
              stos, dtos, sttl, dttl, bytes, sbytes, dbytes,
              pkts, spkts, dpkts, load, loss, rate,
              srcid, ind, mac, dir, jitter, status, user,
              win, trans, seq, vlan, mpls

           Examles are:
              -s srcaddr    print only the source address.
              -s -bytes     removes the bytes field from list.
              -s +2srcid    adds MAC addresses as the 2nd field.
              -s mac pkts   prints MAC addresses and src and dst pkt counts.