latest argus?

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Mar 9 08:58:19 EST 2006

Hey Peter,
Thanks, that was a great way of putting it, I believe.  I have been
slightly
hesitant to 'annouce' argus-3.0, for many reasons, but it is done and
ready to test.   With the announcement that CERT has included support
for argus-2.0 in their Silk tools, and the work that NCSA is doing with
visualization and argus-2.0, its hard to move to a major version
release,
as it will have an impact, but its also very hard to put work into
2.0, when
you've got 3.0 pretty much ready to go.

I've also been hesitant because of the time it will take to document
3.0.  It principally adds IPv6 support, better encapsulation parsing,
64-bit
support, Cygwin support and 64 bit counters, as well as a hundred
thousand
little nits and small changes that will probably drive everyone
crazy.  It has
the same SASL problems as argus-2.0, so there is an opportunity for some
development if someone is interested in improving.

I have just had the last of my foot surgeries (had a bunch of screws
finally removed), and so I'm not as productive as I need to be;  down
but
not out, so to speak.  If there is real interest in testing and
improving on
argus-3.0, then I will make it available.   Need to see a show of hands,
if there is critical mass.  If not critical mass then I will let it
go in April/May
sometime.

Best Regards,

Carter