argus-clients-3.0.0.rc.3: rabins coredumps

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Jun 8 10:39:51 EDT 2006

Ok, when debugging clients, if they blow up, its generally input
specific.   So, at some time in debugging clients we probably will
need some subset of data to chase it down.

But before we get there, because the clients share so much
code, the first thing to do in chasing down a client
bug is to see if other ra* programs also have the same problem.

But, before that, we have to make sure that the client is being
run correctly, and your rabins() example maybe a problem with
parameters.  You aren't running rabins with any description of
how to "bin" the data.   I know this is a line out of ragraph,pl,
but ragraph adds a few more parameters.

Is this argus-2.0 data?

Try   ' rabins -M time 5m soft zero -r /data2/argus/argus.out'
to see if you get any output.

If that has problems, then we need to make sure that its rabins
specific.  racount() is the program I use for testing this.
Its good because it doesn't do anything to the input records,
other than parse them.

So,...., the second step should be, can racount() read the file?

If, yes, then can ra() parse and print each record, so, the 3rd
step would be to try  ' ra -r /data2/argus/argus.out > test.out',
then with the specific parameters, etc.....

If you have problems with all these strategies, then its to the
debugger.

Carter