Measuring 'time interval of transfer' of packets

vaibhav_kaware at persistent.co.in vaibhav_kaware at persistent.co.in
Mon Jul 17 02:36:22 EDT 2006

Hi,
I intend to measure the time of transfer of a given packet
from source to the destination.

But each packet captured/recorded has a single time stamp,
that of arrival on the client machine. This only marks a
single point on the timeline. Whereas, duration implies an
interval bounded by two points.

Is it possible to get the duration of travel of the packets
using Argus? If yes, how?
Alternatively, is it possible to get the arrival timestamps of
the packets, 'of the other end'?

If not, what could I employ to perform the measurements?

-VAIBHAV

Please read further if further clarification required.
e.g.
If there is a webpage small enough that gets transferred from
the server to the client machine within one packet, then there
is no way of knowing how long it took for the transfer from
server to the client, looking just at the arrival time-stamp
on the packet.

e.g.
If a 'file' transfer (download) takes place in 'n > 1' number
of packets, then seldom will all the packets arrive in an
uninterrupted queue at the client's machine. In that case, it
wont be possible to conclude about the download time of the
'file' as a whole.

e.g.
When I send a message, say,  using the instant messanger,
there is no way for me to know how much time it took for my
message to reach the other user, as all the timestamps on the
packets are the ones that belong to 'my' machine. What about
the arrival time-stamps at the other end?

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Persistent Systems Pvt. Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems Pvt. Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.