argus and Cisco NetFlow

carter at qosient.com carter at qosient.com
Thu Jul 13 07:20:44 EDT 2006

Hey Riccardo,
The answer to each of your questions is yes, however, 10 Gbps monitoring without special hardware will be a challenge.  I use Endace's Dag cards, and fiber optic splitters, and they will support about 40-70% of line rate, depending on the type of traffic.  Argus-3.0 should be able to keep up, but gargoyle does a much better than Argus, at these speeds.

If you can find a router that will generate netflow at 10 Gbps, the ra* programs can read them, convert them so you can sort, filter, etc ....  These will be statistical flow records, which are useful? Ra* on a good day should be able to process 50-100K records/sec, reading, writing, etc...   Your milage may vary..

There is lot of interest in this area, but it is not trivial, nor inexpensive.  Some of the 10 Gbps ethernet cards, with PCI Express may be able to do a good job.

QoSient LLC
150 E. 57th Street Suite 12D
New York, New York 10022
+1 212 588-9133 Phone