memory management questions (argus-3.0.0.rc.27)

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at cmu.edu
Mon Aug 28 16:49:21 EDT 2006

Carter,

I've been looking over the memory management functions in
common/argus_util.c, and have a few questions:

	1. What's with ARGUS_ALIGN_128 ? Is argus doing anything
	   DMA related that benefits from it (or requires it) ?
	   Do we need it in GPL argus or is it a leftover from
	   gargoyle (which I recall you mentioning *does* handle
	   hardware directly, not just via libpcap) ?

	2. ArgusAllocBytes: it's used for printing out stats from
	   ArgusGenerateStatusMarRecord(), but doesn't reflect
	   reality at all (unless ARGUSMEMDEBUG is defined, it
	   is only ever incremented by ArgusMalloc() and ArgusCalloc(),
	   but never decremented by ArgusFree()). Unless you have
	   ARGUSMEMDEBUG turned on, there isn't even a precise way to
	   know by how much to decrement ArgusAllocBytes, so maybe
	   we should only ever use it for debugging ?

No big deal either way, just trying to figure out how things work :)

Thanks,
Gabriel