I have a couple of fixes that allow me to compile argus-3.0.0.rc.24 and argus-clients-3.0.0.rc.24 on Mac OS X 10.4.4

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Aug 10 10:17:06 EDT 2006

Hey Dez,
Not sure why the list isn't working, did you send a message to
the list owner?   Hey Mark, are you guys not using majordomo any
longer?

OK, so I develop argus almost exclusively on Mac OS X  10.4.7,
so I'm surprised that you are having problems on 10.4.4.   Have
you updated to the latest in gcc, etc.....?   I think that will make
a big difference.

The problems you are seeing can be corrected, but we can't suggest
modifying the system includes, as that could break something else,
unrelated to argus, but I can try to un-define at the right point in our
include's if the system includes already are defining the "defines".
English is a great language ;o)

Do me a favor, what is the output when you run this program
in the clients distribution?

    ./config/config.guess

possibly I can differentiate between the versions in the configure
script?

Carter

On Aug 9, 2006, at 8:41 PM, Dez Blanchfield wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've tried joining the mailing list but assume it's dead or broken as
> subscribing isn't working and so can't post to it.
>
> Hopefully you can help get the word out, as I'm sure there are
> others like
> me who use argus, and have wanted it build on our OS X platforms (
> particularly laptops for forensic testing and audits etc ).
>
> I have a couple of fixes that allow me to compile argus-3.0.0.rc.24
> and
> argus-clients-3.0.0.rc.24 on Mac OS X 10.4.4.
>
> The first is a quick simple fix for the argus daemon.
>
> To get argus-3.0.0.rc.24 to build I had change the following lines
> ( from a
> posting I saw on the list earlier ):
>
> ./argus-3.0.0.rc.24/common/argus_util.c

> 145 void ArgusPrintHex (const u_char *, u_int);
> 146
> 147 #if defined(_LITTLE_ENDIAN)
> 148 #if defined(__FreeBSD__) || defined(__NetBSD__) || defined
> (__OpenBSD__)

> 145 void ArgusPrintHex (const u_char *, u_int);
> 146
> 147 #if defined(__APPLE_CC__)
> 148 #define __OpenBSD__
> 149 #endif
> 150
> 151 #if defined(_LITTLE_ENDIAN)
> 152 #if defined(__FreeBSD__) || defined(__NetBSD__) || defined
> (__OpenBSD__)
>

> To get the argus-clients to compile, I had to comment out a couple of
> definitions in:
>
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/include/stdint.h

>      32 #ifndef _UINT8_T
>      33 #define _UINT8_T
>      34 typedef unsigned char         uint8_t;
>      35 #endif /*_UINT8_T */
>      36
>      37 #ifndef _UINT16_T
>      38 #define _UINT16_T
>      39 typedef unsigned short       uint16_t;
>      40 #endif /* _UINT16_T */
>      41
>      42 #ifndef _UINT32_T
>      43 #define _UINT32_T
>      44 typedef unsigned int         uint32_t;
>      45 #endif /* _UINT32_T */

>      32 #ifndef _UINT8_T
>      33 #define _UINT8_T
>      34 /* typedef unsigned char         uint8_t; */
>      35 #endif /*_UINT8_T */
>      36
>      37 #ifndef _UINT16_T
>      38 #define _UINT16_T
>      39 /* typedef unsigned short       uint16_t; */
>      40 #endif /* _UINT16_T */
>      41
>      42 #ifndef _UINT32_T
>      43 #define _UINT32_T
>      44 /* typedef unsigned int         uint32_t; */
>      45 #endif /* _UINT32_T */
>
> So as you can see I simply had to comment out the typedef's that were
> causing the argus-client "make" to fail.
>
> Haven't done any further testing to see if this is specific to the
> version
> of gcc I'm running ( gcc version 4.0.0 20041026 - Apple build )
> which it's
> [...]

Carter Bullard
CEO/President
QoSient, LLC