racluster and TopN

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Aug 2 11:19:36 EDT 2006

Hey Joost Bijl,
     Did you send email to the list-owner to find out what happened?
Please do so, as that list is managed by CMU, not by me.

So there is a lot of new support for building TopN types of lists in
argus-3.0.   racluster() is the tool of choice, and to get the stats so
that they refer to individual objects from bi-directional data,  you use
the "-M rmon" option.   The rmon mode causes racluster() to copy and
flip all the records, so that all the bi-directional objects get
shifted into
the "src" fields of all the records.  By choosing fields with 's' at the
beginning, you'll get the objects you want.   The stats will represent
the correct stats for 'in' and 'out' (thats where the rmon comes from,
IETF rmon likes the concept of in/out).

So if you want to do a topn of, what, ....,IP Addresses?   So, use the
'-M rmon' option and cluster based on the address, so that would be
'saddr'.

    racluster -r file -M rmon -m saddr - ip

If you want the stats for the DiffServ codepoints used by IP address,
try:

    racluster -r file -M rmon -m saddr sdsb - ip

This will give you aggregate stats on the address and the DSBytes
in each records.

Remember, use a filter of "ip"!!!!!!

If you have any problems with this, just holler. And tanks for the
fix!!!!!

Carter