possible communication problem with argus on 32 bit system, ra on 64 bit system

Richard Johnson rdump at river.com
Fri Sep 16 20:20:59 EDT 2005

I'm using a couple of machines to handle our flow data.  One listens on the
network and runs argus.  The second runs ra to take the flow data via a
crossover cable, and store it to an array for analysis.

When running OpenBSD 3.6 i386 (32 bit intel xeon) machines on each side,
they communicate just fine.

When I swap the host running ra out for one based on OpenBSD 3.7 amd64 (64
bit -- amd opteron) with an otherwise identical ra build to the original, I
achieve only the following:

	argus on 32 bit host sends no data
	ra on 64 bit host reports "no data available", and quits

Meanwhile, the hosts can communicate freely on the crossover cable with
pings, netcat connections on various ports, ssh logins, etc.  Ergo, it's an
application layer problem that's affecting only argus->ra.

Have any of you encountered similar difficulties?

Is it insane of me to be trying 32 bit and 64 bit machines together like
this with argus 2.0.6fixes1?  If it's not totally insane, might it be
possible to work around the structure incompatibilities (which I'm just
guessing at here) by building and running a 32 bit ra on the 64 bit machine?

Your hints, guesses, and even brickbats will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Richard