FreeBSD 4.10 installation issues

eric eric-list-argus at catastrophe.net
Tue May 3 03:43:55 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 14:30:28 +0700, Affan Basalamah proclaimed...

> Hi there,
>
> I would like to know if any of you experience things like I did.
>
> I try to install argus from FreeBSD 4.10 ports tree, /usr/ports/net-mgmt/argus,
> but it ended with message that it cannot found ../lib/argus_common.a
> and bin/argus_bpf.
> Anyone has an idea ? I use portinstall to assist installation process
> on FreeBSD.

Ports are millions of years old. You should really try and run the latest
argus so you can (a) have an updated version, and (b) report bugs. It seems
that argus is one of those semi-maintained ports on both OpenBSD and
FreeBSD, and by the time they get updated in the -RELEASE branches,
everything is old.

Try source if you can. Else hopefully someone has insight; I haven't worked
with argus on FreeBSD in a year or two now.