Argus Database.

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Sat Mar 12 23:14:16 EST 2005

	I've come to the conclusion (which Russell suggested long ago :-)) that
instead of fighting with memory exhaustion in perl scripts post processing
argus output its time to let mysql do it for me. So far thats gotten as far as
me actually installing mysql on one of my test machines and no further. Its
my intent to start with the ra fields my scripts are currently using (which
are a subset) and see what happens but I expect progress to be slow. As noted
the start will be ra -> perl -> mysql but assuming I find something that works
the correct answer would be a new r client that writes directly to mysql. The
performace issues can probably be most easily beaten by being able to split
argus streams across multiple boxes (I don't currently have enough volume to
need to do that, but the scripts as they stand can do it). Then assuming that
you are doing once a day summarization as I am you can combine the outputs
of multiple merged streams again in to a single output database.