[ARGUS] ra stops unexpectedly

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Sep 30 14:25:21 EDT 2004

Hey Eric,
Many commercial packages have overseer style processes/threads
that periodically check to see if a process has exited and does
the right thing to either restart or generate a message.  We can
do this, but, one of the features you mention is to restart if
a process is overloaded.  That is a hard one to detect from the
position of an overseer.  Better for the client to detect this
and adjust or exit, so the overseer doesn't get tooooo complicated.

In order to know if a process is in a loop, we could have it
periodically touch its PID file, and the overseer can check to
see if it has touched its file in the last whatever time period.
If not kill it and restart.

So, the server does report its status and how many records its
generated in the MAR records (since the R is record, maybe 'records'
is a bit redundant ;) so we should be doing what you suggested.

Carter