[ARGUS] ra stops unexpectedly

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed Sep 29 17:28:06 EDT 2004

	It looks like this shouldn't happen :-). Even on an idle link you
should be getting mar records every reporting interval and that (perhaps
anyway) should reset the counter I'd expect. As a quick workaround (until
Carter can suggest what may really be wrong :-)) try commenting out the timeout
in argus_parse.c:

at line 2737

                  ArgusAdjustGlobalTime(&ArgusRealTime);

/*
                  if (input->hostname && input->ArgusMarInterval) {
                     if (input->ArgusLastTime.tv_sec) {
                        if ((ArgusRealTime.tv_sec - input->ArgusLastTime.tv_sec)
 > (3 * input->ArgusMarInterval)) {
                           ArgusLog (LOG_WARNING, "ArgusReadStream %s: idle stre
am: closing", input->hostname);
                           ArgusCloseInput(input);
                           ArgusRemoteFDs[i] = NULL;
                        }
                     }
                  }
*/

	That should stop the timeout, (it may also do something else
undesirable though :-)). The trick would be to see where (and by what)

input->ArgusLastTime.tv_sec

is being updated. I'd expect MAR records to do that and thus avoid this. All
that said my link must not get busy, because it doesn't happen here (of course
the link between the two is a 3 ft crossover cable too).  Could you be seeing
a link interruption between the sensor and the host that ra is running on so
you really don't see any MAR records for an interval? That would be another
possibility.