[ARGUS] Argument List Too Long

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Tue May 11 21:48:07 EDT 2004

Hi Eric,

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 06:58, eric-list-argus at catastrophe.net wrote:
> Hmm, is there a quick mod to the code to deal with this?
>
> $ ra -ncr /data/argus/archive/krypton/2004/05/*/* - \
>           host \( xxx.85.220.153 or xxx.85.211.230 or xxx.7.8.221 \
>           or xxx.115.71.93 or xxx.59.117.186 or xxx.18.22.37 \)
>
> We archive files every 5 minutes, but I suspect this is due to the
> limit of the amount of files I can read with -r. Using a small loop
> to go through directories works, but... :)

THis almost certainly is a shell limitation not an ra limitation.

You may be able to get around it by writing a perl script to do the
expansion and then calling system with a list of parameters rather than
a string which will cause perl to simply fork and exec the process
rather than passing it to a shell.

But if you are going to do this you might as well do the loop to execute
batches of file names.

Russell