[ARGUS] ra* performance

cleric at gwu.edu cleric at gwu.edu
Mon May 10 12:36:37 EDT 2004

Hello All,

I'm a new Argus user and as such I am still learning the capabilities of
the software. I'm excited about the possibilities, but I have encountered
some performance issues that I hope you can help with.

I am running Argus on a dual Xeon 1.8 with 1 gig of ram. The argus daemon
capture performance seems to be great... using up only about 5-15% of the
cpu while it is running. I use the argusarchive script to rotate the
capure every 5 minutes. I am monitoring a link that runs between 25 and 50
mbit/sec on average. I am running linux 2.4...

The problem comes when I try to extract information from my archived *.gz
capture files using the various ra programs. If I try to go into the
archive directory for a single day's captures and run an ramon -M topn -r
*, for example  the command never completes (and I've let it run for
several hours once). Am I going about this the wrong way? Are there ways
to tweak the OS to improve performance? Do people have performance stats
that they could share? Right now what I am doing seems unusably slow...

Thanks!

Four