[ARGUS] log file roll-over

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed Jun 30 11:39:51 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 03:21:44AM -0500, eric wrote:
<snip>

> Actually, now we're rolling every two minutes and unfortunately
> still running out of memory when doing the rasort that happens in
> the argusarchive script. What I've noticed is that it will take
> about two times the amount of memory to go through your logfile. So
> if you have a 1GB logfile, make sure you have AT LEAST 2GB available
> for rasort (not to mention more handy for the kernel, etc).
>
> Hopefully we'll be getting our new hardware up soon which will give
> us quite a bit more memory as writing to large amounts of swap is
> slow.

	I long ago removed the rasort from the archive script. When I
just tried one it indeed segfaulted likely because of insufficient memory
which is why I removed it in the first place. As far as I can see that doesn't
seem to hurt anything (although it may be costing me somewhere else that I
don't know about of course :-)).