[ARGUS] Argus release strategy (and version numbering scheme) (longish)

eric eric at catastrophe.net
Wed Jun 30 04:09:50 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 06:31:37 +1000, Andrew Pollock proclaimed...

> Daily builds works fine for Debian. Debian releases a stable version once in
> a blue moon, so as long as I can get a respectable version of argus and
> argus-clients into that stable release, I'm happy...

For this reason, perhaps taking into account the lowest common
denominator would be best. For instance, OpenBSD is released on a
biannual schedule in May and November. The ports of OpenBSD, like
many others, are maintained at a certain level and only the most
critical bug fixes (usually those that cause a security
vulnerability in the underlying operating system) are pushed into
the ports tree as an announced fix. Anything else (like a minor, or
sometimes even a major, feature waits until the next version of the
OS is released and it's respective ports tree.

That said, perhaps it's best to maintain both a HEAD version and a
stable version of argus. With this, Andrew would be able to track
HEAD (or possibly a -current, slightly less bleeding-edge than HEAD)
and make builds nightly if anything diff's. We can call it a duck, a
cow and a horse...no matter to me! But having a version scheme gets
my vote! Even having a CVS tree would be good too, just to watch the
historical changes. I'll even offer to host it :-)

Cheers,

- Eric