[ARGUS] Argus release strategy (and version numbering scheme)

slif at bellsouth.net slif at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 25 08:22:38 EDT 2004

Just an opinion, you decide...
In the day, V.R.U is a well established means of
producing software

  Version 2    Suggests Version 1 will be incompatible
  Release 0    Suggests earlier releases may be incompatible
  Update  6    Suggests this update fixes earlier updates,
               but will run with other updates at the same Version/Release,
               modulo some discomfort.

Seems to me that the update number changes
whenever patches are accepted in to the source base,
and the author commits them to public distribution.
This solves packaging number problems, I think ?

-Mike Slifcak