[ARGUS] enterprise NAT consideration

slif at bellsouth.net slif at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 23 21:39:33 EDT 2004

Hello,
I'm beginning to use argus, and I have a question
that I've not had the hardware to verify. I'm also
fairly new to WAN correlation, and I'm not familiar
with many of the tools that might be second nature
to you.

I've scanned the mail list archive and found six messages
in 2002 that discussed NAT. Starting with Message-ID:
 <BEEOKCJBNELJMDMAIKHFKEDECBAA.c.martin at jesus.cam.ac.uk>
 It seemed the discussion drew
near an assumption that firewall logs were available.  This
is not the case for the scenario I"m describing below.

Given the following network diagram:

    DMZ -- subnet is 192.168.1

     +------ machine A (in California) argus writes argusA.out

   firewall applying NAT [DMZ/24 --> MM.NN.OO.PP/32]

     +------ machine B (in Colorado) argus writes argusB.out

   outside

Given an external destination XX.YY.ZZ.WW routed to outside,
Given an internal source 192.168.1.10
Given a connection from source to destination
Given machine A and machine B are NTP time-synched to
    within 20 milliseconds
Given the logs on the firewall may not be available
   (e.g., a Linksys or a NetGear firewalling router,
    or firewall is owned by a different administrative authority)

Machine A sees:
  Connection from DMZ 192.168.1.10 to  XX.YY.ZZ.WW (outside)
Machine B sees:
  Connection from firewall MM.NN.OO.PP/32 to  XX.YY.ZZ.WW (outside)

Given that the argusA.out and argusB.out are safely copied to another machine,
Can one or more ra* tool [believed to be ragator] understand NAT to correlate
each connection that was collected in argusA.out and argusB.out ?

Can it still correlate the connection if the firewall also
NATs the source and destination ports ?

Can parts of the connection be missing for this to succeed
(e.g., SYN not seen, or FIN not seen, or  single UDP packet seen ) ?

Is there a need for special filtering ?

What other tools might help complete the correlation ?

Thanks in advance,
-Mike Slifcak