[ARGUS] QoS Analysis with Argus

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Jul 30 10:25:07 EDT 2004

Hey James,
   Sorry for the delayed response.  Ragraph() definitely needs some
work, as all the client programs should be considered work in progress,
but for the most part, if the installation is good and there is
data to graph, then it should graph it, but in your case, you're
trying to graph objects that the 3.0.6 version doesn't support.
If you check out the perl source, you'll see what the distributed
version understands, starting on  line 167.  I'll put a more
complete ragraph() into the 3.0.7 test distribution soon.
(hopefully just a week).

   If you want to try to add more support, you really just need to
add the column name, just as it appears from any of the ra* programs,
for the metric you're interested in, and follow an example column,
like SrcBytes, through the code to see what needs to be done.  Not
hard, basically specify the databoject, whether its source or dst,
which describes what to do when you 'split' the graph, and then
specify a y-axis label, and the power() correction factor.  This
is important depending on if your reporting averages vs. accumulated values.
Bytes is a good example, if you want to report the total bytes then
the power function is 1.0.  If you want to report the average bytes
per bin, then the power function should be $STEP, the size of the bins
in seconds.  That should do it.

   Just a quick tutorial on ragraph().  ragraph()  is a perl script
that uses the program rahistogram() to take in raw argus data, and
formulate the time-series plot data.  It basically is just a ra*
program, so it handles most of the command line options.  The output
of rahistogram() includes some ragraph() specific information, like how
many bins, their size, what labels are to be used, followed by
comma separated fields of data.  Perl uses this data to define
an rrdtool database, load it up with data, and then generate graphs,
using the perl rrdtool commands.

   ragraph() understands that some columns of rahistogram() output are
metrics, some are the objects that are to be graphed (like saddr),
and so are providing labels, indicators for colors, etc....  If the
column label output doesn't provide ragraph() with a known metric
label, then that's a problem.  If it the label is a valid metric,
but there is no data to put into the rrdtool database, then rrdtool
has problems, and not always gracefully.

Hope this is helpful!!!

Carter