[ARGUS] collecting and reporting flow content

slif at bellsouth.net slif at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 26 14:20:41 EDT 2004

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered.
I'm about one third through the 2500+ archived mail messages.

I have questions related to eric's response.

On 2004/07/26 Mon AM 10:41:48 EDT eric wrote:
>On machineA, compile argus and use the following argus.conf
>[SNIP removed for brevity]
>
>Then on machineB..
>
>$ nohup ra -nn -S 10.10.10.10 -w argus.cap &
>
>Rotate your flows, as necessary, using argusarchive.

#-#-#-#-#-#

I have several questions that are related to argus' ability
to save the first N bytes of each flow's transaction.

I know that argus can either use command line (e.g., -U128)
or configuration (e.g., ARGUS_PACKET_CAPTURE_FILE=), and this
copies the first N bytes of each flow's transaction.

 Can argus send those records in the stream of other argus records
 over a remote connection ? Or Would another argus instance be required
 to provide this content stream separately ?
 How would the "ra()" command at the
 remote end separate the argus records from the tcpdump-formatted
 transaction data ? Would multiple "ra()" instances be needed ?

 Whether gathered locally or remotely, how can the ra* tools be used
 to report the first 128 bytes of some transactions ?
 How can these be shown as plaintext, or as hexadecimal ?

 Can the report show the sequence and direction of each of the
 byte streams displaying their content ?

Thank you,
-Mike Slifcak