Name clash?

Andrew Pollock andrew-argus at andrew.net.au
Thu Jan 1 01:26:53 EST 2004

Happy New Year all.

I was lying down on the couch this afternoon reading this quarter's copy of
SAGE-AU Advice, and came upon an article entitled "Argus - System Monitoring
Tool" and initially thought, cool, someone's written an article about Argus.

As I read on, I realised that it was about another product called Argus,
something that as the title suggests, does system monitoring ala Nagios and
friends.

I don't know if QoSient holds a trademark on the name Argus (or if these
other people do), but I can see this name collision causing all sorts of
confusion, particularly if one or the other becomes significantly more
popular than the other...

>From what I can determine from a brief peruse of the changelog, it was
called something completely different at least until 2001. I'm not sure of
Argus' history, but it seems that it's significantly older than this
vintage.

http://argus.tcp4me.com/

regards

Andrew